Saturday, August 10, 2013

What's Wrong With Me (Part 1)

Do you know how long this post has been a work in progress? Since the beginning of this blog. For real. But it's time now. I've been wanting to tell you about my primary two conditions but now that has changed. It seems like it's time to tell about not just the BIG 2, but also the other stuff going on. Because there's more than my fair share.

^I really and truly can't even begin to tell you how often I come up short somehow and don't remember something I have. There are just so many.

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=51fd9af79e&view=att&th=13fe627ea72714cf&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-k2ccyTN4xfSBn3BcMXalF&sadet=1373957758888&sads=Cp14VxvO_4_O-rf7iP0zKnkoTgA
Unless you're new to my blog, you know I love the chronic illness cat meme. Laughter is the best medicine.
I have been diagnosed with the following chronic illnesses/disorders: (In Chronological Order From Youngest Age of Diagnosis to Most Recent): allergies&asthma, chronic sinusitis, NMH, ME/CFIDS, ADHD, OCD, PTSD, TOS, and now doc's are not so gently hinting at a lovely little gem called CRPS. Hearing that get tossed onto the pile of medical shit in my life prompted me to revisit this blog.

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=51fd9af79e&view=att&th=13fe61406f5daefa&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&sadnir=1&saduie=AG9B_P-k2ccyTN4xfSBn3BcMXalF&sadet=1373957657921&sads=5UmS4FUoT4SPcyJgW0iJHhrKcdE&sadssc=1
This meme, as so many others do, made me laugh at loud (because if you can't laugh you'll just cry). I remember when I was diagnosed with TOS thinking "Oh, cuz one incurable lifelong chronic illness isn't bad enough? Really, God?!" But then time goes on and I remember that my count is already plenty higher than one or two. That list is my chronic illnesses or disorders that I live with on a daily basis (at least that I can remember right this very moment). CHRONIC health problems, not just whatever illness I've picked up along the way, like having my tonsils removed or the random lump biopsied from my breast (at age 19) or any of that.

Oh, yeah, but it does feel worth mentioning that there was once a doctor who diagnosed me and my knee injury as, "A medical mystery... But you are too beautiful to play sports anyway; you should just accept that you'll never play again, get a therapist, and go into acting or modeling." That was at the ripe age or 12 or 13, and my parents didn't sue or punch him; they listened to him and sent me to a shrink. That was at the very beginning of my knee injury, that later turned out to be a torn ACL. ACL tears are much too normal in comparison to the rest of my list, so clearly I had to mix it up there and have a record 8 surgeries on the same knee by the age of 23.
[Sidebar: In my to-be-read stack of books is Warrior Girls. When I read the book jacket depicting a story of chronic injuries in young female athletes, with a focus on soccer and knee injuries I damn near peed myself with excitement. I had to have it. Kevin bought it for me, along with a long-sleeved FCB jersey as a pre-op present back in March. But my lust for this book waned when I learned the book's central focus is on an athlete whose playing career ended after 3 knee surgeries. Warrior Girls also gives attention to a shocking entire 18-womaned roster with a combined ACL surgery count of 9. These numbers pale in comparison to what I did (stupidly, one may argue, but did nonetheless). Why wasn't I interviewed?! Seriously.

So let's get to diagnosing me, shall we? I've been jacked up medically since I was a wee tiny thing. Three times in my life, that I recall, I've spent a year or so completely laid up/ill. I'm in my 4th. And then there was definitely a 5th if you count the 2 (count em, two...) bouts of scarlet fever both before age 4 (so I'm told). I don't fear death, the way many folks do. I fear what my future likely holds: being so sick that I'm laid up in bed, all the time, forever. Death is merciful when compared to a life that steals your body but leaves your mind.

Allergies, Asthma, & Chronic Sinusitis
I was diagnosed with allergies, asthma, and chronic sinusitis all by the age of 10. I had been sick all of my life up until then. Mostly the doctors had said it was recurring ear infections. However, in children, sinus infections are frequently misdiagnosed as ear infections. Same goes for allergies and hand-in-hand with that is asthma. None of that was or is too exciting. I still suffer from these. I am allergic to most everything there is to be allergic to: grasses, weeds, trees, flowers, and all the lovely outdoorsy things. Inside, dust mites, dust, smoke, and cats do me a great deal of damage. I carry an EpiPen (an epinephrine autoinjector if you are unfamiliar) all the time. I did as a child then stopped for many years, as my allergies seemed to be managed well enough by allegra and zyrtec and benadryl. In November of 2011 I was rushed to the ER when I stopped breathing due to an allergic attack prompted by some unknown substance (comforting, isn't that?) in the Outback Steakhouse meal I was eating. I now carry an inhaler again. I usually have sinus infections all winter, resulting in antibiotics all winter. 2011-2012 resulted in 9 months of antibiotics straight. Pretty much the worst thing ever. Except for the shit that's been going on now.

NMH
Neurally mediated hypotension. This is a stupid disorder. Basically the heart and the brain just up and suddenly don't communicate properly. When that happens the blood pressure drops out of nowhere and the heart gets confused. The heart gets the signal that the blood pressure is too high and drops really low to compensate to fix it. This fun combo results in fainting.

Only I have it one better. I have the atypical version of this lovely condition. Instead of my heart rate dropping, my heart-brain communication is doubly jacked up and my heart rate spikes through the roof. It's the body's way of trying to increase the blood pressure, by pumping it out harder, faster. Only the heart pumping that fast is counterproductive: the ventricles/valves open and shut WAY TOO FAST, subsequently not getting outflow of blood and lowering the blood pressure even more. Then it's lights out.

It can happen after standing for a long time or getting dehydrated or just whenever the heck it wants. It is amplified by CFIDS and it ramps up CFIDS. Fun tandem there.

I was diagnosed after I fainted while driving. Fortunately I was only going 40 mph and it was after the big blizzard of 2003 and there were high snow drifts on the side of the road for my car to ping pong in (rather than flipping in a ditch). Three sides of my car were banged up. Just not my side. I had just passed someone going in the opposite direction, and it's a miracle for both of us that I fainted seconds after instead of seconds before.

Being 16 my parents didn't exactly believe that I had crashed my car without knowing how it happened. I told them it felt like I blinked and suddenly was in a snow drift, facing the wrong direction. They grilled me about if I was texting, talking on the phone, fiddling for a dropped CD, anything. They didn't believe me at all--they probably would have if I'd told them about the previous times I had fainted, but for some stupid teenaged brain reason, I hide it from them. I only got taken to the doctor as a way of calling my bluff. When it turned out I had a real heart condition (and a fancy new University of Maryland Medical Center pediatric cardiologist) they felt so guilty that they paid to have my car fixed. Which was awesome, but almost worthless because the docs benched me and said I couldn't drive until I went without fainting for 6 months. I still haven't gone that long, but I have learned how to recognize the symptoms of an "episode" coming, so I get to a safe, lying down position first.

Sometimes an NMH episode (as I call it) just causes bad dizziness, no fainting, especially when I feel it coming on. Sometimes it causes vicious waves of nausea. Like I said, it's stupid.


So that's it for now. Like I said, it's so much, it seems to make more sense splitting it up. Part 2 will contain the rest of the list. Thanks for reading. Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment