Friday, May 3, 2013

Some People Don't Believe in Heroes but They Have Never Met My Husband

I named this blog "This Life Would Kill Me If I Didn't Have You" after the country song "If I Didn't Have You" by Thompson Square. It quite literally describes my feelings toward my husband, Kevin.

The quote as the title of this post also accurately describes my feelings. I thought heroes were limited to men and women in uniforms: army, navy, marines, coast guard, air force, police officer, fire fighters, etc.... And I REALLY didn't believe in someone who could be my personal hero, my knight in shining armor, my prince charming.

I stopped believing in fairytales when I was..... actually, I don't really remember EVER believing in fairytales. Now I do. Because my life fits the very basic requirements of a fairytale: my life sucked, I couldn't do anything to make it better on my own, and then with the help of my prince charming and marrying him obscenely quickly, my life got better. We're living our version of happily ever after. It's a little different than the normal fairytale "happily ever after," but it ours.

So, be warned. This blog is sure to not be all about rainbows and butterflies. He's my fairytale, my king, my hero. This is a love story. But like all true love stories, like all real life, sometimes it'll be more like, this is how things suck... But he's my shining light through it all. He always has been, and he always will be.


As life fit that fairytale model, the hero fits the profile as well. He has been fearless, brave, and unfaltering. He set out on a quest. Ever since I met him 8 years ago, he has been on a journey to me. His quest took some interesting turns, like any hero's quest does. In metaphorical ways, he has gone to battle for me, time and time again. Over the years he nursed me back to health, time and time again. (All these steps were his story though, not so much mine...)

And then this year, he rescued me from certain death. That is not an exaggeration. Literally. It is 2013 and this man LITERALLY saved the life of this modern independent feminist. So my faith in fairytales has started, after 26 years of being a non-believer.



The posts that follow will be mixes, I am sure. Stories of his awesomeness. Stories of my sadness. But all throughout I am certain he will amaze me more and more every day. 

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful beginning to your story in this vast blogosphere! Thank you for showing me this side of someone I love as well. And I love the Fawn Weaver quote - I follow her too.

    You probably don't know this about me yet, but I used to be a feminist. I know... Shocker if you've seen my FB posts!

    Looking forward to reading more...
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment. There is so much good in him, as you'll see if you continue reading.

      Delete