Saturday, May 18, 2013

Real time... Traveling!!

Kevin's friends are getting married today. On a beach on the gulf coast of Florida. I'm pretty sure it's the sunset, barefoot ceremony I've always dreamt of... And I haven't yet met these friends, so I'm honored to be there.

Unfortunately getting there means flying, and flying means a lot of bad things for me. I've flown alone since I was 15. Several flights alone since then. Florida. NC. LA. Bahrain. I've had layovers and missed flights and craziness.

Today I realized in this present health state, flying alone is another "thing I can't do." But Kevin, as always, is making sure to help with every possible thing that could go wrong. Within his control. He can't help how the pressure affects my swelling and pain...but he soothes me. He holds me still during the bumps that cause so much extra pain. He handled check-in. He carries the bags. He remembers to walk at my pace. He helps with my sweater on and off, zippers, and all. He body blocks other people from bumping me. He asks my every pain and symptom and ache, so, as he says, he knows how to help me. In all the hustle and bustle of traveling, his still on top of pill-time for me.

Without a complaint. Without a cross word to me. He doesn't do these things begrudgingly. He does these things with a smile, with lots of "I love you's" and forehead kisses.

We are on a layover now. Before our first flight I was terrified. So many things could be bad flying in my condition. But now I feel relaxed, I feel much more at ease. I'm learning to trust that he's got it. I am so used to being in control all the time, but I can't be anymore. I can follow his lead and it'll be okay. He's got this... And me.

1 comment:

  1. so happy for you ..flying high in many ways :)....this post gives me goosebumps...enjoy!! xo

    ReplyDelete